- LearnletsRevisiting 70:20:10 – A key point many of us forget in our ISD: “Another issue, for me, is that 70:20:10 not only provides a push towards thinking of the whole picture, … it serves as a design tool.”
- 6 Reasons Why Corporate Training Programs Fail – While they are all good points, my favorite is: “The fourth reason many programs fail is that they allow the employee to ‘lose focus’ and effectiveness. Courses, learning paths and programs need to be highly coordinated, delivered in a meaningful way, and continued in a reasonable time frame.”
Posts Tagged ISD
- The Importance of Microlearning in eLearning Design – From the post: "Today’s learners (myself included) are often overwhelmed with too much information. We’re distracted by competing priorities and are impatient to get the information we need. When you incorporate microlearning into your eLearning course design, you’re able to meet the needs of your learners by providing bite-sized pieces of information that are easy to digest."
- How to identify a good instructional designer – Good checklist to use when considering an ISD hire. But I would add they need to be master storytellers and accomplished writers as well. It is rare that you get a project staffed with a dedicated writer and the ISD often has to play that role.
- How the Flat Design Trend is Transferring to the "Real World" –
- Online Education has become a Joke – Sing it, Roger. Great examples of what e-learning should NOT be!
Greetings All! It has been a while since I’ve had the time to put up a proper blog post, but a colleague of mine has an upcoming webinar that I want to tell you about. It is all about converting existing classroom courses to e-learning (or blended solutions) and it is spot on for a lot of the work I find myself doing these days.
His name is Pat Smith and he is the principal at EnvolveMedia, a performance improvement company that specializes in the development of e-learning and the production of webinars and large online learning events. I’ve had the benefit of working with Pat or a wide range of projects over the last few years. His experience and expertise is a huge value-add to any project. He is especially good at converting higher-order learning objectives into engaging and effective e-learning simulations and interactions.
Pat’s webinar, Translating Brick & Mortar Courses for a Virtual Delivery, will be held on February 17, 2015 at 3:00pm (Eastern).
- Six Ways to Foster Innovation in the Learning Field – Juxtaposition, Non-Traditional Thinking, Multiple Attempts, New Network Connections, Bring in Those New to the Field, and Vendors.
- The Changing Nature of Workplace Learning – Two posts influence reflection on how workplace learning is changing. From the post: "While the former reflects the redesigning of workplace as a physical manifestation of this change with its focus on enabling communities and collaboration, the second one squarely focuses on empowering autonomous learning and facilitating the building of trusted networks."
- Assembly Line: Instructional Designers as Content Curators by Stacy Friedman : Learning Solutions Magazine – Stacy Friedman's article hits some of the points I've been espousing for years (it's good to have someone agree!). Not just for learning, but for all performance improvement solutions, there is so much already available that we need to be adept at building solutions using the content and platforms available instead of reinventing wheels.
- Flipped Classrooms in Corporate Learning: Concept or reality? – The ways of Training and Learning in the corporate space are changing. With the advent of technology-enabled learning, corporate trainers are exploring newer ways of reaching out to learners. From a very ‘course-centric’ focus, trainers are now leaning towards ‘learner-centric’ models which require learners to take a more active role in their own learning
- Guide to Online Course Design [INFOGRAPHIC] | LearnDash –
- 10 eLearning Game Ideas for Instructional Designers – 10 simple eLearning game ideas that even non-programmer eLearning Designers can implement into their course design.
- Blended Learning: Current Use, Challenges and Best Practice – There's currently a lot of hype around the topic, but what is the reality? How are organisations really using blended learning, and what results are they producing?
- Learning Tip Number 3: Why Storytelling Works – If you are not incorporating storytelling into your training or education programs, then this article should push you over the top
- 5 Journalism Techniques To Borrow For eLearning –
- Apparently, Organizational Culture is Crap – A very interesting take on whether organizational culture should be organic or created by leaders. Both? Chock full of great links to other resources and articles.
- Change Management Might Finally Be Ready to Change –
- EdTech is No Longer Optional – Keying on education and teachers, but this reflects the same transformation I'm seeing in organizational learning – especially in relation to remote working.